Freitag, 28. Februar 2014

Books are my life (among other things)



Why? There are books I simply can’t forget, not over the years, not over many hundreds of other books I read. They somehow managed to imprint themselves in my mind, to never be forgotten. I haven’t found out the reason why, some of these books (or most of them) don’t contain life-saving content, most of them are fun and easy to read, but still, something in them won’t let me forget. I’m just glad that not all of the books I read and will be reading in the future are memorable otherwise my brain would shut down due to overload (I’m a real heavy bookworm).

I started reading when I was a child and have never stopped since then. Today, I tried to estimate approximately how many books I have read up to now. I soon stopped counting fearing that if all these book contents came back to me I would find myself buried under a huge pile of letters, characters and book covers floating around, trying to worm themselves back into my head. Just imagine all the countless trips to the library my parents had to endure with me. The library only allowed four books per person per month which was by far not enough. Sometimes I got my brother’s or my father’s lot, too, but most of the time I was soon desperate to go back and borrow some more books.

Nowadays, my craving for books can easily be satisfied 24/7, thanks to my e-book reader. Whenever I run out of books I simply go to the internet (directly on my reader, technology still amazes me), browse through the book store and order a new book over the whispernet, seconds later it is there ready for me to read. However, the biggest advantage in my opinion is that I don’t have to drag along 20 books when I go on holiday. It was always a tough decision to make between clothes and books, more often than not the books won. Today, my carry-on luggage is light as a feather, even though it contains dozens of books.

Despite the obvious advantages of an e-book reader, I still love to visit book stores wherever I am, since I definitely prefer real books to e-books. The actual feeling of holding a printed book in my hands, the particular smell of it, reading the first few pages and immediately being transported into another world while still standing in the store, the sudden whispers of other people around me, sometimes the smell of freshly-brewed coffee, what more can I wish for?

Why do I write about this topic? As some of you know, I recently joined facebook (after years of denial I gave in at the beginning of this year, as an easy way to stay in touch with all of the very nice people I met in Brazil). Being still a facebook newbie I got all excited when I found out that I can “like” books I read. This feature triggered my trip down memory lane (fortunately only bookwise), and during this trip my mind stumbled across a book I once read and which impressed me more than most of the other books I read. I still don’t know why I love this book, it probably touched my heart or provoked emotions that won’t let me forget this book. Maybe I will find out when I read it again, for a second, third or even fourth time.

At the risk of being judged by you I mention its title here anyway. It’s called “The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake” by Aimee Bender and if you ever read this book please let me know what you think about it. Is it just a simple read, without provoking emotions, or can it touch you as well? I’m very interested in other people’s reaction to this book. Please note that I’m in no way connected to the author, and I won’t get any royalties if you buy this book (better still, you can borrow it from me since it is a paperback and not an e-book).  See you soon back in Switzerland and keep on reading!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen